Thursday, May 16, 2013

Book Review: Dead Beat By Jim Butcher


So I kind of hate to do a review of this book because it is book five in the series  but I wanted to try and do review of the books I read and this is the first book I finished. I think the best thing to do here is have a two part review, one for those who haven't read any of the series and one for this book in particularly.

Part one:

Are you one of those people who read the Harry Potter books over and over again waiting on pins and needles for the next book to come out? Well now that Harry Potter is over and you've grown up but doesn't mean you have to leave you love of fantasy behind. I am not saying that the Dresden files is Harry Potter for grown ups, nor am I saying that if you loved Harry Potter you will love Harry Dresden,  I'm just saying that if you fell in love with fantasy through Harry Potter then this might be a good series for you to try.

Here are some things to look forward to if you do give these books a try:

1. Grown up wizard Practicing his magic openly in the 'real' world.
2. He is a detective with super powers so he is like a mystical Batman what is not to love?
3. He deals with every day cops and angry fey on a regular basis.
4. Wise cracking Spirit who lives in a skull- (also known as Bob)
5. There are currently 14 books available in this series, and more to come. The series wont be ending anytime soon so you can enjoy Harry's antics for some time.
6. Magic and wizardry.
7. Vampire wars
8. Did I mention bob the skull? I did oh well he is worth mentioning twice.
9. another orphaned wizard, but he has to deal with his issues as a grown up.
and 10. Oh the unraveling mystery of who Harry Dresden actually is.

Part Two: Now if you haven't read this or any of the other books in this series I suggest you stop now. Seriously this is your only warning:

I liked this one, though it was sad not to have Karrin Murphy around, Karrin is probably one of my favorite side characters, along with Michael, Bob, and Mouse. several fun things happen in this book,
1. Movera comes back and she is out to black mail Harry into doing something that may be bad.
2. We learn some more about the history of Bob.
3. Lacsiel comes back and begins her net of temptation- this is probably my favorite story line in the book, it was entertaining to see how Harry deals with what he knows in a temptation, what he knows is dangerous.
4. Necromancy! Oh gosh I love a good old fashioned zombie story that uses Necromancy as the cause for the undead walking around.
5. Don't worry even though it isn't a big part of the story, thomas is around  and harry does have to deal with the growing pains of having his half brother around.
6. Polka will Never Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The book was fun and I can't wait to get the next one. that is it for this review till next time God Speed and Open Roads.

No comments: