Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Insecure writer's Support Group March '13

Today on IWSG I want to talk about Failure. More specificity what does it mean to actually fail as a writer. this idea comes from the Rapid fire episode of I Should Be writing about rejection. in that episode Mur talked about how rejection letters were not a sign that you have failed as a writer. Rejection letters come for a lot of reason and yeah it hurts when you get 'rejected' but that is not being a failure.

So how does one fail at being a writer? It's simple there is one one way to fail as a writer: to stop writing. Lately I've been feeling like a bit of a failure. And if I need a bit of a pep talk and I figure that other writers (weather armatures, want-a-bes, or Pros however that is determined) might need this kind of pep talk too.

See I had this great and glorious plan to writer a short story once a month. It shouldn't be a big deal I mean Our Future Dark Over Lord Scott Sigler and others have writer a short story a week for a year surely a short story a month was an obtainable goal. Well it is march and I have not written a single short story. Like most of my new years resolutions it didn't make it past the first week of the new year.

But you know what I have written more days this year then I haven't and by doing just that little bit of writing, -at one point my friends had to remind me that I enjoy doing this (Thanks Matt)- I pushed through and I may not have much to show for it but I have something and that something is proof that I am not a failure as a writer. I'm still an amateurs yes, and my writing wont buy bread anytime soon but the point is that I haven't failed yet.

Now it is March so if you have disappointed yourself by not making your writing resolution, look at what you have accomplished no matter how small. that is proof that you are not a failure as a put pen to paper and go write!

4 comments:

Julie said...

As long as you continue, you win. Although, if people don't love the process of writing, then it isn't a failure to find a new goal. I think being open to what connects is the key. I write like crazy right now, but in a few years, maybe I will change my priorities. For now, I'm only happy when I am writing. But I am open for change and growth and wherever that leads. Just have fun with it and take the pressure off of it. That's what I try to do... sometimes even successfully. :)

Chancelet said...

If writing is what you love, even as difficult as it is sometimes, then yes you said it, you're not a loser if you write! I'm going through a period of not working on my WIP, but I have to let it go, because things need to simmer with the plot and characters.

I want to give you a link someone in this blog hop posted. It's great. Make sure you watch it all the way through.

http://youtu.be/l-gQLqv9f4o

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Writing something, even if it's a blog post, matters!

Unknown said...

"A Different Drum Beat" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/03/sites-to-see_22.html