Tuesday, January 17, 2012

From the Art Desk 1

I haven't done much in the way of drawing sense November. I did get working on a couple of things but I didn't have time to take pictures and things aren't done yet either.

I used to draw a lot. I went through periods where i would get an idea for a drawing and draw it. sometimes putting it aside if it didn't meet my expectations. these days I haven't been drawing as much. I have't been motivated enough. I mean I have a huge project for the church sitting on my table that is getting no where. which i think might be part of the problem.

It is too big a project, I can't just sit down and draw, it is elaborate and then there is the small problem that I think I lost the  Icon I was supposed to paint it on. really this area of my talents has been disappointing me a lot.

it has been very discouraging. the last time I worked at my art desk I thought everything was going great but then by the end of it i had erased all that I had done. Dejected I turned off the light and came out to watch what ever football game happened to be on. and I haven't been back in the art room sense.

It think there are two problems I am dealing with, no maybe three:

1. every project I am currently working on is a figure drawing of some kind. I'm out of practice on these and probably need to mix up my work some. Perhaps a wildlife drawing, or a landscape, or even a good old fashioned still life. Maybe I should try to set up a very simple still life for an excessive, I mean that is some of the first things you do in art classes right? I like having multiple projects going on my needles and I never have only one story I am working on, maybe some variety will help me to get back in the grove of things.

2. I really miss the community I used to do art in. my art class was a loud and noisy place, where if you were stumped you could make the rounds and talk to everyone and look at how everyone else's project is going. and by the end there was either encouragement or challenge to help you press on through the difficult parts. then there was also any number of people who came up to look at how your project was going and offer advice about a difficult place.

3. well this is embarrassing. I was going to sight a video that my cousin Draci posted on her blog but i can't find it. basically the gist of this problem is that I have good taste, I know what I want my work to look like but I am not at that level of ability. the video she posted talks about this and I thought it put the issue in a much better way then I can. any way i am at a point where I can keep working on it or you know just give up.

So I have possibly identified the problem, now what am I going to do about it? Well I am going to take a break form the figures for a while. not completely mind you I wont get any better at them if i just switch gears. I am going to try to give myself some smaller projects, projects that can be finished and i can look at and say look I finished it I am not that bad of an artist. It's really all I can do right now. Not a great plan I know but at least it is something. To be More specific I am going to try to draw about two to three hours a week.

No comments: