Saturday, October 15, 2011

Canterbury tales 4: The Cook's Tale


The next couple of weeks (at least) will be focused on the Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. I have listened to it in its entirety once and then when I was thinking about how to talk about them I decided to break it down into the individual tales and give a post of each one.  I am going to limit my self to one post per story because some of them are so full of interesting things that I could post for a month and still have more to explore. 


 THE Cook of London, while the Reeve thus spake,
For joy he laugh'd and clapp'd him on the back:
"Aha!" quoth he, "for Christes passion,
This Miller had a sharp conclusion,


The Cook liked the miller's tale, that should tell you enough about his character. if you still doubt that he was a churlish sort then take heed that the host of this glad company said that his cooking was not always good or 'fresh' and that more then once the cook may have given his patron's food poisoning.

100 Word Summary: There was an apprentice who like to play dice, and woo women. when ever he could get out of the shop he did. One day his master cast him out and this apprentice when to live with companion who had a prostitute for a wife....

Well it seems that the cook's tale was unfinished. It feels like a joke where some one forgot the punch line. I have nothing else to say about this. Join me next week for the Man of Laws Tale.

No comments: